You are a victim of a car crash with a drunk driver in Connecticut.  What are your rights, and what documents should you get?

Example:  You are driving in Groton, Connecticut on Route 12 near the sub-base in Groton, and you are rear ended by a drunk driver.  Your car is totaled, and you suffer a low back injury in the car crash. 

What are your rights?

If you are injured in a car crash with a drunk driver then you have the right to bring a civil lawsuit against the drunk driver seeking money damages to compensate you for your harms and losses. 

What three documents should you get?

If you are in a car crash and the other driver is a drunk driver there are three reports you should get.

Get the accident report.

First, get the car accident report.  This is the report that you will see in every car crash.  In the report you will probably see the names of the parties involved in the car accident, their address, and their insurance information.  Also, the report will contain a narrative from the investigating police officer.  The report might contain names of witnesses, and a diagram of the crash.

Get the criminal investigation report.

Second, try to get the criminal investigation report.  You might not be able to get this report if there is an ongoing criminal investigation.  But the prosecuting attorney might give you useful information to help you build your civil case.  As part of this report, there will be a detailed narrative prepared by the investigating police officer, and possibly a statement of the defendant.

Get the A44 report.

Third, get a copy of the A44 report.   This is the report of the drunk driving investigation and arrest.  You, as a victim of a drink driver, are entitled to the A44 report under General Statute § 14-227i.  Some police officers and departments are not aware of this rule, and might resist your efforts to get the report.  So, you might need to remind them that you are entitled to the report under General Statute § 14-227i.

Where to get help?

If you are the victim of a car crash involving a drunk driver and are seriously injured then you might have questions about how to protect your rights.  Feel free to contact the lawyers at The Bartinik Law Firm, P.C. 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, Connecticut at 860-445-8521 or toll free at 888-717-4211.

Peter J. Bartinik, Jr.
Connect with me
Civil Trial Attorney, Practicing Law in Connecticut