If the at fault driver does not have enough insurance, you can make an underinsured motorist claim. But you must first collect whatever insurance exists from the at fault driver. And your underinsured motorist claim will get a credit for the amount of insurance you receive from the at fault driver. Therefore, your damages must exceed the amount of liability coverage that the at-fault driver has, and your underinsured motorist coverage must also exceed the liability coverage of the at fault driver. It is in your best interest to have a large amount of underinsured motorist coverage because that is the only protection you have if you suffer a serious injury in a car or truck accident from someone with not enough insurance to pay the claim.

If you or anyone you know has a question about a serious car or truck accident or car insurance please call one of the Car Accident Lawyers at The Bartinik Law Firm PC, 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, Connecticut at 860 445 8521 or toll free at 888 717 4211.

Peter J. Bartinik, Jr.
Connect with me
Civil Trial Attorney, Practicing Law in Connecticut