One question that comes up fairly often is this.  Can I get unemployment if I resign from my job in Southeastern, Connecticut?  The factual situation is like this.  The company does not want you to work there anymore.  But instead of firing you, they tell you to resign.  They even offer you some sort of severance package.  Or they tell you to resign, or they will fire you anyway.  How does this affect your rights to collect unemployment?

The answer is this.  If you resign your job, then you cannot collect unemployment.  This will be the case even if they "force" you to resign.  So, if you want to collect unemployment, then don't resign.  Force them to fire you.  A better way to characterize your loss of the job is to say the company elected to exercise their rights under the employment-at-will rule to end your employment.  

If you or anyone you know need the help of an employment law lawyer, then contact The Bartinik Law Firm, P.C., 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, Connecticut at 860-445-8521 or toll free at 888-717-4211.  We have offices in Groton, CT., Shelton, CT., and East Berlin, CT.  Our main office is the one in Groton.  





Peter J. Bartinik, Jr.
Connect with me
Civil Trial Attorney, Practicing Law in Connecticut