If you have a drunk driving charge you might end up losing your license.  Then you might not be able to get to work.  Worse yet, if you can't get to work, your boss might fire you.  If you work at one of the casinos in Southeastern Connecticut like Foxwoods or the Mohegan Sun, you might point out.  So, many people ask me whether they can still collect unemployment benefits if they were fired because they could not get to work after a drunk driving license suspension.

The short answer is: Yes, probably.

If you are interested in this topic, you will also be interested in these.
1.Eastern Connecticut DUI consumer guide.
2.Unemployment eligability basics.
3.Protect your job | Don't just give up and resign.  


The Connecticut Department of Labor states that you can receive benefits if you meet a series of legal eligibility requirements.  

If you were discharged for absenteeism, your employer must show that you were absent without good cause, or reasonable notice to the employer on three separate instances within a twelve month period.  So, this is the three-strikes-and-your-out rule.  

Therefore, as long as you have a good track recod for attendance, and did not have two strikes before you drunk driving absense, then you should be in good shape to get your unemployement compensation. 

If you or anyone you know has concerns about losing their job and collecting unemployment benefits after a drunk-driving charge the feel free to call us at The Bartinik Law Firm, PC., 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, Connecticut at 860-445-8521 or toll free at 888-717-4211.

Peter J. Bartinik, Jr.
Connect with me
Civil Trial Attorney, Practicing Law in Connecticut