Unlike many law firms today, our Groton, Connecticut family law office continues to offer potential clients a free consultation for divorce matters in Southeastern, Connecticut.
The main reason we do this is to give people an opportunity to meet us in person to determine if the relationship is a good fit, before making any type of a financial commitment. Going through a divorce is a very personal experience. Accordingly, it is imperative that you feel comfortable and confident with your choice of an attorney to guide you through this challenging time in your life.
Another reason we offer a free consultation is to help clients learn about the laws which govern divorce in Connecticut, while at the same time giving them an idea as to how long a divorce takes and how much it will likely cost. This is mostly general information, because certain basic principles and procedures apply to every case.
Just like every person is different, however, every divorce case is different too. For this reason, if you come to your initial consultation armed with certain financial documents, you will help Attorney Bartinik derive much greater insight into the economic particulars of your case, which will help her to better answer your questions and better prepare YOU for your divorce going forward.
The following are the most important documents that you should try to gather and bring with you to your consultation:
- The tax return that you and your spouse filed last year;
- Your most recent and your spouse’s most recent paystub for this year;
- The last appraisal that was done on your house;
- Your most recent and your spouse’s most recent 401k and IRA statements; and
- Your most recent and your spouse’s most recent pension statements.
Having these documents will help Attorney Bartinik answer for you the three most common questions that clients tend to have:
- Will I be able to keep my house if I get a divorce?
- Will I have to pay/ will I be able to get, alimony, if I get a divorce? How much? For how long?
- How will our pensions be divided if my spouse and I get a divorce?
If you or anyone you know needs information about a divorce in Stonington, Connecticut then contact the divorce lawyers at The Bartinik Law Firm, PC., 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, CT., at 860-445-8521 or toll free at 888-717-4211.