If you are a father struggling with your parental duties, or a mother hoping the father of your children will step up to the plate a bit more, our state has a great program called the John S. Martinez Fatherhood Initiative of Connecticut. It is a broad-based, multi-agency program led by the Department of Social Services and it "is focused on changing the systems that can improve fathers' ability to be fully and positively involved in the lives of their children." Essentially, their goal is to give dads the support and skills they need to be more involved in the lives of their children.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Promote public education concerning the financial and emotional responsibilities of fatherhood
- Assist men in preparation for the legal, financial, and emotional responsibilities of fatherhood
- Promote the establishment of paternity at childbirth
- Encourage fathers—regardless of marital status—to foster their emotional connection to and financial support of their children
- Establish support mechanisms for fathers in their relationship with their children, regardless of their marital and financial status
- Integrate state and local services available for families
There are many resources available to fathers in New London County, so be sure to ask the Fatherhood Initiative about all of the programs available in your area. Just a few of the programs include:
- Playgroups at the Branford Family Resource Center, in which dads are encouraged to participate.
- The Child and Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut, which sponsors a young parents program and provides free and confidential prenatal and parenting education for teens in New London and Groton.
- Madonna Place Fatherhood Initiative Program in Norwich, which offers case management services to promote positive interaction between fathers, mothers, and children.
If you are a parent in the Groton area and you're dealing with Connecticut child custody or child support issues, call at 860-445-8521 to contact the Bartinik Law Firm, P.C. for a free consultation https://www.grotonlaw.com/contact.cfm