It is impossible to settle your claim without speaking with an insurance adjuster. When you do please understand the following:
1. The adjuster does not work for you. They work for their employer, the insurance company.
2. In the case of the liability adjuster for the person who crashed into you, that adjuster's job is to pay you a little as possible or nothing at all even if the law, justice, morality, and common sense indicate that you deserve compensation.
3. You are not required to sign an authorization allowing them to see your medical records, or employement records.
4. You are not required to give them a recorded statement, or any statement for that matter.
5. You are not required to use the repair show of their choice. You get to chose.
Now, I am not suggesting that you cannot or should not speak with the adjuster. As long as you know what to expect from them you can be careful what you tell them and don't tell them.
Some common sense goes a long way. For example, if you don't tell them what your injuries are you cannot receive compensation for those injuries. So, in that sense, you must speak with them.
Also, understand in many car crashed, there are more than one insurance company involved. Always remender which one is which, and which one is the liaiblity insurance carrier.
Keep in mind that they will try to get you to settle your case for far less than it is really worth.
That is why I have created a free book that you can get on this website, How to Put Your Best Foot Forward in Your Truck or Car Accident Case in Connecticut. The book answers all sorts of questions my clients have asked me over the years about how to talk with and deal with the insurace adjuter. In the forward of my free book I describe the mindset that you must have and that you need to "know your enemy" and understand the various pressures that come to be. If you understand them, and accept them, you can better deal with them. The book is free. If you are going to deal with an adjuster on your own become informed and get my free book.
If you or anyone you know have been involved in a car accident and are dealing with an insurance adjuter get my book and always feel free to contact the Groton car accident lawyers at The Bartinik Law Firm, PC., 100 Fort Hill Road, Groton, Connecticut 860 445 8521 or toll free at 888 717 4211.